Wednesday 30 March 2011

Test: Strobe Lights in Box


The video you can see above demonstrates the box we used in the narrative of our pop promotion. Underneath the box, is a small hole that I managed to make, allowing light to pass through into the box.

When we thought of the idea to have a 'box of light', no-one knew how that was possible. Even with editing techniques I didn't know how to go about that in Final Cut Pro. We played with the idea of digging a hole in the ground on location and maybe putting a torch in it covered by a bottomless box but our idea wasn't looking hopeful and we started to give up on it which we were really disappointed with.

After we'd forgotten the idea, thinking it was impossible, I thought about an App I used to have on my phone which made the screen flash as if it were a strobe light so I looked it up on the iPhone App Store and there was one which used the LED camera flash on the back of my phone called Flashlight for iPhone 4 which looked as if it would create the perfect amount of light and effect we were looking for and was small enough to hold under the box without looking too obvious. So I tested it out at home (which you can see above) and it worked! I think the fact that when the box is closed you can't see any light is really effective. I'm so relieved we managed to find a way to make our idea work as I think it adds something different to the video, gives it a mystical feel and looks extremely effective!

Video and post by Ben Halliday.

No comments:

Post a Comment